Slaughter Processor - Hanger/Loader
In the process of slaughtering, a hanger/loader will hang or load carcasses and meat for processing slaughtered beef, sheep, goat, fish, pork and/or poultry. They will handle and pick up animals of various sizes and weight, both manually and with the use of equipment.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Have knowledge of animal anatomy and cuts of meat
- Adhere to safety procedures and policies to slaughter animals
- Lift, hang, shackle and align carcasses for further processing
- Check products to ensure they meet USDA standards
- Monitor machines and equipment and adjust if necessary
- Maintain and clean machines used in the meat-preparing process
- Handle and pick up animals of various sizes and weights
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, particularly animal science
- culinary skills
- computer skills
A high school diploma is required for a slaughter processor — hanger/loader career. Advanced training or an associate degree in meat science or animal science may be preferred for some careers.