Information Technology (IT) Programmer
Information technology (IT) programmers ensure that writing, testing and maintenance of computer programs and applications are analyzed to meet user and process needs. They design all or part of an information system and oversee program design activities to ensure they meet business process objectives.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Design information systems
- Oversee program design activities
- Analyze development objectives against specified problems
- Perform all programming and configuration assignments
- Incorporate system security to protect data
- Analyze and resolve software errors in a timely and accurate fashion
- Ensure the documentation meets overall business process needs
- Provide status reports where required
- Draft design specifications for software applications
- Create and maintain documentation for code and configuration
- Ensure the testing of programs meets acceptance criteria
- Train end users on established programs
- Provide on-call support and problem resolution
- Perform required maintenance and install enhancements
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- computer science and coding
An associate or bachelor’s degree in computer science, information systems or a related technical area is needed to pursue a career as an IT programmer.