Food stylists design, prepare and style food for photography, culinary demonstrations and videography. They work as part of a team with photographers, prop stylists and clients to ensure the vision of the director is satisfied. To do this, they are responsible for conducting research, obtaining ingredients and choosing accessories for food arrangements.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Stylize food items for photography and videography
- Complete a recipe step by step for a video or an on-air food demonstration
- Maintain and clean test kitchen and demonstration areas as well as cooking equipment and utensils
- Consult with marketing and food production staff as to which foods or recipes should be photographed or presented
- Understand the properties of food being cooked
- Practice preparing food in advance of shoots
- Maintain the organization of sets so time is not wasted
- Understand and listen closely to client requests
- Have a thorough knowledge of photography principles like lighting and depth
- Conduct live demonstrations at industry or private events
- Develop new recipes to showcase foods
- Purchase food and recipe items needed for presentation
- Utilize props such as silverware, plates and fabric to stylize the food
- Assist in the development of social media campaigns
- Conduct research to develop unique and creative ways to display food
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- family and consumer sciences
- culinary arts
A minimum of an associate degree in culinary arts, baking arts, food science, nutrition or a related field is required to become a food stylist.