Freezer/refrigeration specialists direct, implement, audit and evaluate the maintenance, installation, and repair of cooling and refrigeration systems in the manufacturing and processing sectors. They play an important role in food safety. Additionally, they supervise the removal and placement of carcasses in cold storage rooms, supervise the packing of meat and count packs before freezing.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Perform safe handling of refrigeration chemicals
- Supervise the removal and placement of carcasses in cold storage rooms
- Supervise the packing of frozen blocks into cartons
- Ensure maintenance of machinery required for the freezing of meat products
- Work closely and communicate effectively with supervisors to accomplish repairs, maintenance and operation efficiency
- Read and interpret drawings, blueprints and schematics to determine the layout of industrial refrigeration systems
- Be knowledgeable of electrical testing equipment, hand tools and power tools
- Ensure compliance with all company, federal, state and local regulations
- Operate hoisting and lifting devices to position machinery and parts during the installation, set-up and repair of machinery
- Ensure efficient operating performance through troubleshooting system issues to provide quick solutions
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, especially agricultural mechanics
- computer skills
An associate degree with refrigeration training is required. Additional training and certificates in food handling safety and processing is a bonus.