Sorters are responsible for grading, sorting and organizing items, food and other agricultural products by size, weight, color or condition. They will operate production-line equipment and sort items on a conveyor belt, load items onto trollies and ensure the factory is kept organized and clean.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Place products in containers according to grade and mark grades on containers
- Weigh products or estimate their weight, visually or by feel
- Discard inferior or defective products or foreign matter and place acceptable products for further processing
- Grade and sort products according to factors such as color, species, length, width and appearance
- Record grade identification numbers on tags on shipping, receiving or sales sheets
- Ensure material flow is kept and bring any issues to the supervisor’s attention
- Keep workstations clean of all debris
- Maintain orderly workstations
- Follow all health and safety regulations
- Monitor machines and equipment and adjust if necessary
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- agricultural mechanics
A high school diploma is required for a career as a sorter.