Florists are artists; they design and create arrangements of flowers for us to enjoy. Florists use information provided from customers to select vases, bouquets, sprays or larger displays appropriate for a party or showcase. They have a large knowledge of flowers and how to care for them and can recommend and suggest varieties for different arrangements. Some florists even grow their own flowers they then arrange and sell.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Design flower arrangements for large events including weddings
- Manage bookings of events and scheduling time accordingly
- Deliver arrangements to residences, churches, funeral homes, weddings, etc.
- Provide quotes for various sizes and designs
- Manage seasonal employees during times of high demand (Valentine’s Day, Mother’s Day, etc.)
- Have a working knowledge of flowers to recommend and suggest varieties for different arrangements
- Maintain online and phone orders and keep proper record keeping including scheduling and finance
- Care for plants that are in stock
- Greet and assist walk-in customers with the highest level of customer service
- Manage website and social media efforts to market products
- Work to maintain cleanliness of the business and maintain its appearance
- Maintain a clean and organized working area
- Manage inventory of flowers and other supplies and reorder as needed
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- floral design
- plant science
- computer skills
A high school diploma or preferably an associate degree in business management, floral design or plant science is needed.