Machine/equipment operators are responsible for operating computerized equipment and mechanical equipment to process and package agricultural and food products. They will operate machines according to work orders, perform troubleshooting when issues arise and set up and close down machines. The type of equipment that machine operators use will depend on the specialization of the company they work for.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Operate single-function machines required to process and package food and agricultural products
- Ensure all equipment is operating in a smooth, safe and efficient manner
- Maintain cleanliness and organization in the machine-operating area
- Control and adjust machine settings
- Set up machine according to work order and operating procedures
- Perform basic troubleshooting of machines
- Set up machines (calibration, cleaning, etc.) to start a production cycle
- Set up and change product materials in a quick, efficient manner
- Provide quality assurance of product as required for testing
- Record all equipment downtime and properly log information for maintenance purposes
- Complete all required production paperwork
- Stop production when product quality is in doubt and report problems to management
- Work in accordance with all health and safety policies and procedures and maintain a safe work environment
- Participate in continuous improvement programs, meetings, etc.
- Ensure all personal protective equipment (PPE) is worn
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, particuarly agricultural mechanics
Machine operators require a high school diploma or equivalent. Additional certification specializing in certain skills may be helpful for advancement.