Research and Development Technician
Research and development (R&D) technicians are responsible for supporting a research team in process improvements and product launches for food products. They will develop new prototypes by performing scientific experimentation, running small-scale product trials and researching new ingredients. R&D technicians work with other departments in the company like sales, operation and food safety to ensure products are created properly.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Coordinate the product development process across different departments
- Perform accurate sample preparation
- Operate lab, kitchen and plant equipment
- Plan and organize experiments and projects
- Coordinate with ingredient suppliers for food ingredient delivery
- Maintain laboratory records and provide reports, tables, graphs and product information
- Have a strong understanding of food ingredients and functionality
- Develop and maintain recipes
- Provide technical troubleshooting support for production staff
- Compute formulas, percentages or production-specific factors
- Ensure the health, safety and cleanliness of the work environment
- Compile information for senior scientists
- Assist with full production of food products
- Perform quality and food safety testing of products
- Coordinate sensory tests of prototype products
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- family and consumer sciences
A bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology, food science, food technology or a related career is required. Some companies may hire individuals with multiple years of experience working in test kitchens.