Feed Mill Operator
Feed mill operators are responsible for assisting in the operations of the mill and feed crews during the process of storing, mixing and delivering feed for cattle, hogs or poultry. They also ensure completion of daily, weekly and monthly routine preventative maintenance tasks including greasing bearings, checking gear boxes and inspecting belts. They make sure the mill is kept clean and in working condition, including the grounds surrounding the mill.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Ensure the mill is kept clean and is in safe, operating order
- Assist in repair and maintenance projects around the mill with the maintenance staff
- Assist in maximizing the efficiency of the mill and propose changes when needed
- Fill micro ingredient boxes and clean out ingredient bins
- Work with employees to identify and address ingredient flow issues
- Package materials and assist in shipping
- Review orders to assure all materials are present and prepare for transportation
- Ensure that company safety practices are adhered to
- Receive ingredients into the mill, both bulk and bagged
- Conduct grading of ingredients received
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- agricultural mechanics
- plant science
A high school diploma or equivalent is typically required.