Breeding Manager/Multiplication Manager
Breeding or multiplication managers are responsible for all aspects of a company’s breeding departments. They oversee the welfare, feeding, monitoring, record keeping, care and day-to-day management of the animals, especially as they pertain to the facility’s breeding/multiplier operations.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Oversee room set up and initial inspections for mother animals
- Confirm that all animals have proper feed and water and make nutritional recommendations when necessary
- Monitor and assist animals during birth
- Monitor the health of all animals and seek veterinary attention as needed
- Oversee C-sections as needed
- Assist in the euthanasia of animals if necessary and complete proper after care of deceased animals
- Ensure that the vaccinations of mother and baby animals are completed
- Manage weaning and monitor animals for proper weaning behavior
- Oversee that nursery processes are completed and wounds are treated
- Ensure proper ventilation to animals and assign heat-lamp management
- Schedule and assign tasks to meet production goals
- Manage breeding groups and communication according to client contract specifications
- Manage nursery and foster program for orphaned infants
- Oversee general maintenance of the facility, including cleanliness, pest control, feed systems, power washing and more
- Complete daily checks on security and alarm systems and respond to them
- Train and develop breeding staff
- Keep records and paperwork of breeding, births, weaning, illness and disease, accidents, supplies, and euthanasia
- Maintain the highest level of animal health and welfare
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, especially animal science
A high school degree is required, but an associate or bachelor’s degree in animal science or a related field would be preferred.