Process engineers develop and optimize industrial processes for the production and manufacturing of a product. When looking at these processes, it is their goal to improve factors like efficiency, sustainability, quality and safety. They also take overall responsibility for the safe design and operation of the equipment within the area.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Provide day-to-day observance and support of manufacturing operations
- Develop and optimize industrial processes from start-up to certification
- Conduct assessments of safety protocol to ensure workers are safe
- Take overall responsibility for the safe operation of equipment
- Assist regulatory agencies during audits and assessments
- Provide engineering expertise to leadership
- Diagnose mechanical failures, determine solutions and make repairs
- Monitor systems to verify and optimize performance
- Recommend maintenance schedules for equipment
- Be responsible for system classification and maintenance strategy for equipment
- Provide instructions for employees on how to safely perform operations
- Conduct research on new potential process techniques
- Compare system performance statistics with other operations
- Perform cost predictions on potential process improvements
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, especially agricultural mechanics
- computer skills
A bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering, agricultural engineering, manufacturing, industrial engineering or a related field is required.