Chief Operating Officer
Chief operating officers (COOs) are responsible for the management of day-to-day company administrative and operational functions of a business. They are often considered the second in the chain of command and report to the chief executive officer (CEO). COOs must oversee and direct the entire operations division of a company, which can include manufacturing operations, finance, engineering, purchasing, human resources and administration.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Oversee and direct the entire operations division of a company
- Ensure proper management of resources and the distribution of goods and services to customers
- Ensure strategies are implemented and in compliance with regulatory bodies
- Meet with other executives to create strategic plans for the company
- Oversee the development and implementation of sales and marketing plans
- Provide leadership in achieving profit objectives
- Work closely with other executives to ensure that a company’s objectives and mission are completed
- Supervise the establishment and implementation of service and quality standards
- Certify that appropriate internal systems, policies, procedures and controls are in place
- Maintain consistent and effective communications with the chief executive officer and implement the CEO’s directives
- Evaluate the performance of each department through data analysis
- Allocate resources for managers such as funds, labor and equipment
- Carry out company business plans and devise a plan for how a company will operate in the marketplace
- Advise and support senior management team with financial planning, budgeting and decision making
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- computer skills
A bachelor’s or master’s degree in business administration, organizational management or a related field is required. To become a COO in agriculture, you must also have proven your ability through a generally accepted minimum of five years of related experience within the industry and have a strong background in leadership.