Laboratory managers manage the day-to-day laboratory operations for all tasks in a lab. They uphold health and safety standards, improve lab operation processes, and mentor and train lab technicians on the correct use of lab equipment. Lab managers also undertake administrative duties for the lab such as ordering supplies, scheduling employees and communicating with outside lab services.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Develop and approve employee schedules, sick time, vacation and personal time
- Supervise day-to-day operations of the lab
- Provide active leadership and development of all lab technicians and staff
- Be responsible for onboarding, training, managing performance and coaching of lab technicians
- Provide professional and technical training on procedures, laboratory testing and screening methods to ensure technical competence of all employees
- Ensure the lab is up to health and safety standards and technicians are following all health and safety rules
- Check supply levels, place orders, and put away and distribute new supplies
- Proactively research new concepts and propose and potentially lead efforts to implement new technologies and experiments
- Perform routine lab maintenance on equipment and call in servicing as required
- Create and review lab protocols, technical reports, data collection sheets and logbooks
- Carry out experimental procedures as relevant to the lab
- Work with third-party labs to carry out tests that might not be performed in the lab
- Manage the department budget
- Communicate with investigators and other project stakeholders
- Log and enter sample test results in computers
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
A bachelor’s degree in laboratory science, agricultural science, biology, chemistry or a field related to the type of research occurring in the lab (e.g., plant science, animal science, etc.) is required. Some laboratories may require a master’s or doctoral degree in a related field with general experience working in a lab to take on this manager position.