Chief Executive Officer
Chief executive officers (CEOs) are corporate executives who manage companies with the objective of attaining overall profitability and growth. They plan, develop, organize, implement, direct and evaluate a company or organization’s business units, vision, mission and overall strategy. It is also important for a CEO to maintain awareness of the competitive landscapes, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, and new industry developments and standards.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Establish short- and long-term goals for the organization
- Advise the company on the impact of long-range planning and new business ventures
- Ensure agreed strategies are implemented in compliance with regulatory authorities
- Participate in the development of an organization’s plans and programs as a strategic partner
- Enhance, develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization that will improve its overall operation and effectiveness
- Maintain awareness of the competitive landscapes, opportunities for expansion, customers, markets, and new industry developments and standards
- Provide leadership to staff and educate them on business objectives to enhance employee performance
- Hire, evaluate and provide professional development opportunities for the company’s senior management team
- Monitor the needs of company partners, the board of directors and stakeholders
- Remain well-informed about industry trends or changes
- Provide strategic financial input and leadership on issues affecting an organization’s decision making
- Provide patrons to a company or organization with effective service
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- computer skills
You may be flexible on what type of degree you have depending on the type of industry you are working for, but generally, a bachelor’s or master’s degree is required. To become a CEO in agriculture, you must also have proven your ability through a generally accepted minimum of five years of related industry experience and have a strong background in leadership.