Alternative Energy Specialist

Alternative energy specialists act as technical representatives and subject matter experts on alternative energies such as wind, solar and water. They work with public and private sector groups to devise and apply smart solutions to critical climate and energy-sector problems. Alternative energy specialists provide technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout projects.


What Responsibilities Will I Have?

  • Provide technical expertise on alternative, sustainable energies
  • Identify, assess, prioritize and recommend energy-saving opportunities to clients
  • Understand the cost of different technologies
  • Perform accurate and concise research, analysis and technical calculations
  • Undertake field visits and surveys and identify potential problems
  • Assist with analyzing mechanical documents and drawing specifications
  • Collaborate with equipment procurement and identify the cost of items
  • Provide objectives and methods of tracking for energy projects
  • Review existing energy study reports and perform audits
  • Work with technical services to provide a description of the control systems and operating schedules
  • Determine which alternative energy method would be most suitable for a project
  • Research, identify and investigate existing and proposed laws and regulations
  • Oversee the implementation of energy efficiency programs
  • Prepare documentation, tracking and reporting to make sure programs are being followed
  • Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
  • Prepare and present reports orally before the community, organizations, and policy and decision-making bodies
  • Stay aware of trends and developments in the clean-energy field


Recommended High School Courses:

  • agricultural education, particularly agricultural mechanics
  • environmental science
  • mathematics
  • business
  • personal finance

Education/Training Required:

A bachelor’s degree in engineering, environmental science, agriculture or a related technical field is needed. For a government or private consulting position, a master’s or doctoral degree is required.