Produce buyers purchase produce to be made into other products or resold in a retail environment. They manage sourcing strategy, including contracts and negotiations, to improve quality and profitability. Additionally, they are expected to be experts in matters related to raw product quality, market trends and perishable inventory management.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Order, replenish and merchandise products for retail
- Monitor inventory control and replenish product
- Manage sourcing strategy and contracts
- Negotiate raw product contracts with growers and brokers
- Create reports outlining inventory and profits
- Provide the company with expertise in matters related to raw product quality
- Travel to grower fields to monitor progress of contracted crops
- Communicate effectively with suppliers to ensure timely deliveries
- Organize and develop displays
- Maintain produce areas
- Facilitate the development of new suppliers
- Review budget then determine what suppliers can provide product within that budget
- Prevent food spoilage by ordering the appropriate amount of food
- Evaluate and select suppliers based on their ability to supply product
- Work with other parts of the company to determine volume needs or consumer preference
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- plant science
A bachelor’s degree in agricultural business, marketing, supply chain management, horticulture, plant science or a related field is required.