Mechanical Electrician/Electronics Technician
Mechanical electricians/electronics technicians are responsible for wiring, troubleshooting, repairing and maintaining the electrical systems that are part of mechanical equipment. Additionally, they perform installation, maintenance and repair of electrical systems. They also assist in developing trainings and reviewing electrical programs and procedures for companies.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Install, maintain and repair electrical systems to meet specifications and regulations
- Maintain records and data to ensure compliance
- Read blueprints, diagrams, dials and meters to determine electrical output and input
- Troubleshoot and diagnose electrical problems
- Perform preventative maintenance
- Install electrical wiring, assemble electrical parts, and test fixtures and components
- Provide drawings and suggestions related to inspection and testing
- Use computers and other technologies to test electrical equipment
- Install electrical warning systems
- Ensure compliance with local and national electrical codes
- Maintain an inventory of all instruments and electrical/electronic parts
- Assist in developing trainings and reviewing electrical programs for companies to identify opportunities for continuous improvement
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- mathematics with a focus on science
A high school diploma or, more preferably, an associate degree in industrial equipment technologies, HVAC maintenances or electrical/electronic technology is required. Many companies require additional certification based on the policies in place.