Greenhouse managers are responsible for the daily operations involved with running a greenhouse or nursery and are responsible for propagation, cultivation and harvesting of plants. Depending upon the structure of the business, they may work with the public or in a business-to-business arrangement. Greenhouses can be used for commercial plant purposes or in food production.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Plan species to be planted according to time of year
- Provide supervision over greenhouse workers and promote a culture of continuous improvement
- Possess an up-to-date knowledge about the stages and diseases of plant life and potential diseases that may occur
- Develop crop-specific fertilizer and irrigation protocols that maximize the potential of the breeding programs
- Manage greenhouse equipment and technology, while keeping these tools safe and updated
- Explore ways to improve processes for more efficient growth and harvest yields
- Maintain breeding records
- Forecast demand to determine plant populations
- Ensure that operation is in line with environmental regulations
- Maintain positive relations with customers, commercial businesses and greenhouse vendors
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education, especially plant science and horticulture
An associate or bachelor’s degree in horticulture, agribusiness, agronomy, seed production, farm production or a related field is needed.