Pest Control Advisor
Pest control advisors are responsible for scouting crops and identifying pests that can affect a farmer’s harvest. Based on their observations, pest control advisors make recommendations on treatment and suggest products or other methods to control or prevent problems to the farm manager. They also publish and distribute periodic summaries of agronomic observations and research to customers.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Inspect farmer’s fields for pests that can impact yield and harvest
- Identify pests that are present and the damage that they are causing
- Make recommendations on treatment plans based on findings including chemicals and fertilizers
- Communicate with the farm manager about pests, damage and recommendations
- Sell company products and services and maintain a current knowledge of products available
- Maintain sales programs within assigned territory/accounts
- Monitor competitive activity and trends within the industry
- Keep records and prepare reports on sales activities
- Continue to learn new product features, benefits and usage
- Continue education on marketing techniques, products and services
- Provide training to employees, farmers and technicians as needed
- Work with farmers to conduct field trials in their territory
- Calculate cost analysis in order to determine the most economical solutions
- Develop fertilizer formulations based on pesticide application
- Publish periodic summaries of agronomic observations and research
- Maintain and build customer contracts at high levels of customer service
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
- plant science
- focus on sciences such as chemistry and biology
A bachelor’s degree in an agriculture-related program such as agronomy or entomology is needed. For some locations, a Pest Control Adviser (PCA) license is also required.