Carpenters/laborers perform general maintenance duties and assist others in mechanical and carpentry-related duties. They can construct, install and repair structures of wood, plywood, wallboard and other wood-based materials used in buildings. Carpenters use woodworking machines, hand tools and power tools to complete the job. They also operate wheel loaders, forklifts, skid steers and similar equipment.
What Responsibilities Will I Have?
- Unload, carry and stack materials and place tools and equipment in position
- Read and interpret blue prints, assembly instructions and similar directions
- Achieve and maintain a clean and safe working environment that complies with safety protocols and insurance requirements
- Assist operations personnel, maintenance personnel and supervisors as needed
- Build or repair wooden fixtures, baseboard, casing, doors, frames and sheathing used in buildings
- Select and order lumber and other required materials
- Maintain an understanding of safety principles and practices
- Follow all safety policies and procedures to support a safe working environment, including safe operation of machines and equipment
- Work with and remove hazardous material
- Perform minor plumbing, welding and concrete mixing work
Recommended High School Courses:
- agricultural education
A high school diploma with additional certifications specific to the trade, depending on area of specialty, is required.